My theme for 2022 is Joy Trigger. For me, my theme is a constant source of inspiration that carries me through the year. It gives me clarity on what I want to achieve, how I want to live and provides a beacon for easy decision making. But, words are just words unless we give them context and purpose. I do that by creating a short and sweet manifesto to add depth. To help, here are 4 steps to create your personal manifesto.
What is a Manifesto?
First, let’s define manifesto in case it conjures up less desirable meaning.
A manifesto is defined as “a declaration of one’s beliefs, opinions, motives, and intentions.” It is simply a document that an organization or person writes that declares what is important to them.
Certainly, you can follow whatever process works to choose a word or theme and here’s the most important thing – it isn’t necessary to make it heavy and onerous.
And, you don’t have to share it with another human being if you don’t want to. Your theme, and manifesto if you choose to create one, is for YOU. I shout mine from the rafters because it solidifies it in my soul when I do that – and holds me accountable.
4 Steps to Create Your Manifesto
This is a step-by-step process that I use to create my manifesto.
- Theme: Start by choosing your word or theme. Use whatever process speaks to you but if you are looking for guidance, look no further than right here.
- Values: Your values are your core, your foundation and everything feeds back to them. When you live according to your values, things will be harmonious. When you are not in alignment with your values, the road gets bumpy. So, please do an exercise to define your values. This one is what I use with clients and it is the best one I’ve ever found. Simple, yet clear.
- Realms: Pick realms that suit you. For my coaching clients and for those in Lighthouse’s mentor program, we use these 4 realms: Self, Professional, Relationships and Financial. In my manifesto below, you’ll notice I’ve changed it up for myself because it fits where I’m at in life better right now.
- Intentions: Set intentions for each of your realms. These are not resolutions or goals. Intentions are less rigid, more authentic, and less likely to be broken. This is all about how you want to FEEL. More on that next.
How Do You Want To Feel?
Well, the final of 4 steps to create your personal manifesto deserves its very own section – INTENTIONS! I love setting intentions. So much so, that we dig deep into Intentions in Lighthouse’s mentor program and here is how I describe it:
Intentions point you with more clarity towards your values and aspirations. Intentions focus on how you want to feel about any area of your life. Intentions are broader than goals. Again, intentions are not goals or resolutions. They are less rigid, more authentic, and less likely to be broken. When you set intentions, vision of success is clear, misalignment is clear, focus is intuitively clear and you can adjust your path accordingly.
What else? Intentions are powerful internal agreements that you make with yourself and express through your actions. Because, it’s all about actions.
My top tip is to make sure your intentions are concise statements that harness determination to achieve specific outcomes. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Instead of saying “I may” or “I want”, write it as a statement in the present tense – “I do ____” or “I feel _____”.
My Manifesto for Joy
Here we go! I break things down a bit because it makes sense to me but again, do what is meaningful to you. We all think differently in this big, beautiful world.
For me, what makes sense is to break it down with:
- My Theme
- What my theme means to me – a short concise statement that is a brain dump of why my theme inspires me.
- Guiding Questions – these are questions that I can ask to ensure that I’m living in alignment with my theme
- Intentions for each of my realms.
My 2022 Theme: JOY TRIGGER
What does JOY TRIGGER mean to me?
Joy Trigger means getting joy from simple, beautiful things in life. It means reigniting a sense of WONDER. It means AUTHENTICITY in every form – from me, from those around me, from my decisions and choices. It means being INTENTIONAL – with myself, my actions, my life. It means LAUGHTER and LIGHT and LOVE. It means reintroducing the concept of GENTLE into my world and letting that guide me every day. It means hitting PAUSE to soak it up – the view, the moments, the smiles. It means triggering a whole new level of WELLNESS – I have some big plans to continue on my health journey. It means asking: Does this bring me joy?
Does this bring me joy?
How does this make me feel?
How does this add value to my life?
Am I being honest with myself?
Does it matter?
My 2022 Intentions:
I FEEL JOY IN EVERY REALM OF MY LIFE.
My Intention for SELF – I fill my time doing things that bring me joy and wonder.
My Intention for HEALTH – My healthy choices are rooted in self-love and put me in control of my wellness.
My Intention for PROFESSIONAL – I love my work and make a difference to my clients by giving them tools and knowledge to live a joyful life. I am content with letting the future flow and trust the answers will present themselves.
My Intention for RELATIONSHIPS – My relationships bring me joy and are based on mutual respect, meaningful generosity and unconditional kindness.
My Intention for COMMUNITY & LEGACY – My commitment to community is reignited. Storytelling will be a focal point to create legacy and fulfill one of my lifelong dreams.
From there, I have created high-level goals of what I want to achieve in each realm and of course, those will fulfill my intentions ….. or how I want to feel in each realm.
Let Your Theme Be Your Inner Compass
When you decide to choose a word or theme for 2022, it serves as an inner compass that tells you what you want to do, who you want to be, how you want to feel and even things you want to learn.
I have a whole toolkit of resources but two of the main things are the values exercise I shared earlier. And the other – a reflection exercise that you can find here. Tip for this exercise – set a timer for 2 minutes maximum per question! You may also find this article from Medium helpful.
It can be tough. I get it! I’ve worked hard over the years to create a process that works for me and I’m thrilled that people find it useful too. Whether you want a simple tool to get it done or are keen to jump in and take it deep, these two offerings will give you what you need.
- My ‘Set Your Intentions for YOUR Best Life’ online course is now discounted to $22 for 2022! Complete with 3 modules with worksheets and me as your guide, it’s huge value that will give you a road map to make 2022 count.
- Lighthouse’s Mentor Program is running its Final Voyage after 11 years! This award-winning mentor program has guided hundreds of women to set their intentions to design the life they want to live. That, along with shared knowledge, connection, community and results – it is pure magic! Application deadline is January 5, 2022. And, ya I can tell you whatever but here is what people rave about.
Tell Me Yours!
What’s your word or theme for 2022? And did I inspire you to take 4 steps to create your personal manifesto? Happy New Year!